We love chili in the colder months.
It’s so comforting and hearty, but sometimes, it can be a little boring.
Our friends invited us over for dinner and made this amazing butternut squash chili. Butternut squash and chili? I never thought those flavors would blend so well together…but I suddenly found myself going back for seconds…and thirds.
This chili is the perfect meal for friends and family gatherings. It will not disappoint! Let me know what you think!
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled/chopped (about 3½ cups)
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 to 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt/pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- Heat 1½ teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the turkey and cook, breaking up chunks with the side of a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Push the turkey to the edges of the pan, leaving the middle empty.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1½ teaspoons oil, then the onion and garlic to the center of the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin and coriander and stir about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and 1 teaspoon salt and stir until the paste begins to darken in color, about 30 seconds.
- Then add the squash, tomatoes and 4 cups water, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any stuck bits.
- Bring to a boil, adjust the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chili has thickened and the squash is tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Stir the beans and chia seeds into the chili and heat through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with an additional ½ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper, then taste the chili and stir in up to 2 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Spoon the chili into bowls and top each bowl with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
- From Food Network Kitchen